Sunday, November 20, 2011

We Wish You A Frugal Christmas (In Taipei)

I really want to do a few Christmas-y things for the children this year, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on it, or run around Taipei looking for the things I "need".  So, I have been collecting ideas and making things in preparation.  Here is a run-down on my humble beginnings.  If you have any ideas for a fun, frugal Christmas in Taiwan, add them here!

1. Christmas music:  Do a search online for Christmas children's song radio stations, and you can get quite a selection of music to play from your computer.

2. Advent Calendar:  I made my own, using leftover materials around home.  I made little envelopes out of card (stuck together with homemade glue left over from an English class), and inside each one I put an activity we can do at home on that day.  They are now hanging up on spare ribbon with paper clips and pegs.  Activities include the kids writing a letter to our sponsored child, watching a Christmas DVD together, and making Christmas cookies to give out to friends.

3.  Christmas Crackers:  I did find some ideas online but they call for things like Christmas cracker pieces and decorative paper.  I'm going to do a Lucky Dip instead.  Still thinking about what to put in the Lucky Dip packages, but I will most likely go and pick up some small useful things from the discount store.

4.  Christmas Tree Decorations: We collected pinecones on a visit to Jung-Li a couple of months ago, and we will paint them and hang them on the tree.

5.  Christmas Dinner:  I'll stick to the roast chicken we do in NZ.  I understand many North Americans love to have turkey for big holiday dinners, but why not try to cook up a chicken instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment