Monday, March 14, 2011

For Better, For Worse, Me and My Money Till Death Do Us Part

It all began on a date with my now husband and self-proclaimed frugalist.  I had been to the stationery store and picked up some ever-so-adorable stickers, erasers, and notebooks; the kind that are all over Taipei screaming, "Cuteness!  Take Me Home!  Give Me To Your Relatives!"  Richard looked at me and stated rather too calmly, "I really don't like it when you buy those."

Now, many of you will be wondering, why didn't you snap back, "Because I LIKE THEM!"  But, really, the guy had a point.  What was an almost 30-year-old doing buying these things?  Did I really need them?  Were they helping me secure my financial future?  Were they bettering the world?  Did they serve a greater purpose?  I went home and pondered Richard's statement.

For several years.

We've been married for almost seven years now.  And, I have to confess that right next to me are some very cute pieces of stationery.  But, the difference between these and the ones I brought to that date so long ago is, I bought these purposefully.   And, I buy them rarely.  I am sure that the truly frugal amongst you are now cringing, but it is important you understand something.  This is not about a frugalist ranting to the masses how one can spend less than 30 Taiwan Dollars a day and live.  This is a story of my journey from spendthrift to frugal-wannabe, with lessons learned from those around me.  I hope I can give some direction for those of us  living in Taiwan and trying to fight the language and cultural barriers to come out winning financially, but I come with no guarantees.

So, thanks, Richard, for the role model.... and for meeting me half-way.

Let the blog begin!

6 comments:

  1. Hallelujah! Thank you so much for doing this. I can't wait for the future of this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. Not buying what you don't need means more money and less clutter in your life. That's a point to be taken wherever you live and whatever barriers you face. And it is sad to think of the impact that this absent minded consumerism has on the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said! I also can't wait for your next post. :+)

    My gf always tells me to put things back at the stationary store, asking "why do you need those!?" I think she actually sneaks into my basket and secretly puts things back on the shelf.

    BTW: I think tomorrow 85C is doing a buy-one-get-one deal on coffee tomorrow. They're having specials all month long on their baked goods, too. (I'm checking it out now for tomorrow's Like Taichung enewsletter...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, I have such a similar experience, with a different product! Will share a little later.

    Judy, I'm still working on the clutter issue. I'm a clutter magnet. But, what you say is very true. I am trying to teach the kids and myself to live with less to better the world.

    Cat, I have NO idea where this is going. Guess I'll have to write and see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job, Katrina! I used to buy those stickers and other "cutesy" things in Taipei, but more for the crazy English on them (Life is goodest happy---can to enjoy!) And I must admit that I stopped at your 2nd paragraph thinking, "Wait a minute, she's only 30?? That means when we worked together in 1997 she was only..." and then I read the 3rd paragraph and it made sense! Smile friend always for happy to be! :^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave, I remember your crazy English stationery collection! Keetha had some, too. Sadly, I am no longer 30. Well, not sadly, really, I'm pretty happy with almost-37.

    ReplyDelete